Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Afternoon of Yarn

Over the week end I went shopping with a couple of friends. No not for clothes, we went to yarn stores. Yes I know you are thinking he has gone off the deep end. But for those close to me, you would have known that happened a long time ago. We ended up in two pretty cool yarn stores in Clarlsbad. Yes it is a pretty far drive for us just to go yarn shopping but yarn shopping was secondary we were picking up a wine shipment for a friend and while we were there we would taste some wine. After tasting some wine in which none of us were impressed by. One my friend renamed yelling pussy and when the server came back and asked us what he poured us last she told him the yelling pussy. I had to tell him it was actually the screaming kitty. The we headed
out in search of yarn. In the first store they had a book called the knitting man, or something close to that. On the front cover and sprinkled throughout the book were pictures of obviously gay men. I have a theory that only gay men knit. But I believe I knew that from the beginning. I did fall in love with a purple yarn but ended up leaving it after spending close to an hour in this particular store. I will have to go back and get it next time we go up. My favorite part of store number one was that they had wooden buttons that they had tagged butt wood. Each butt wood was about fifteen bucks but I was ever so tempted to buy one of each just so I can tell everyone I have butt wood on my pants. I would specifically use them on pants just for this reason. The second store was filled with many shiny yarns which one of my friends was drawn to every second she turned around. She of course put them back because each skein ranged from 40-60 bucks. I like to knit but I will never buy yarn that is that expensive. She said one day she will buy that yarn, and in my mind I said I will never ever buy that yarn! At the end of our yarn excursion we met up with Cory and some friends from out of town that were visiting and Cory wondered how we spent close to two and a half hours in yarn stores. To my it felt like a couple of hours well spent.

3 comments:

Crafted by Bairbre Aine said...

You were in Carlsbad?
I missed you...
Drats, I was in San Fransisco over the weekend, visiting yarn shops with friends also.
Now there's a road trip we should go on.
Sebastopol (Knitting Workshop, Balls & Skeins) has a few fantastic shops.
As well as Santa Rosa (Cast Away) and of course San Fransisco (Atelier Yarns, Imagi Knit, OH and a tea shoppe, Samovar Tea Lounge kitty corner of this shoppe, and Noe Knit)
Had a really creative and fun time.
You would of loved it Elbert! I so thought of you several times, while I was up there...I wanna yarn shop with you too :)

Mike Pape said...

Wait, Tio Ely knits, only gay men knit, so that means... Tio Ely is gay? OMG!

LOL

Crafted by Bairbre Aine said...

Ok Mike, not only gay men knit.
Knitting originated in Scotland.
stop right there...I know what the both of you are thinking.
But it was a male dominated craft.
Men would knit their socks and 'stuff'.
A wool shoppe back home had the history of knit, on a wall.
so, now days, I don't think only gay men knit.
I have been wrong in the past, however, I stand firm on this. LOL
:)